GTA03 and E-Ink Interface

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sun Feb 15 18:28:23 CET 2009

Am So  15. Februar 2009 schrieb Jaya Kumar:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:21 AM, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:
> >
> > Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> >
> > | so what I am looking for is 22 pins that I can treat in that way, ie:
> > | use as regular GPIO, and are in some way exposed on a connector or a
> > | surface trace that can then be wired to an interface board that will
> > | carry the display controller itself.
> >
> > I'm a fan of bitbang personally :-) but the GPIO controllability on
> > Glamo would need carefully studying and I can't do it right now due to
> > dying laptop battery and leaving flight.  I wouldn't rule it out we
> > might be able to do something perfectly in tune with the electrophoretic
> > bandwidth / response timescale.
> >

> Sounds pretty interesting to me! I'm very excited about it and look
> forward to your advice.
>
> btw, the bitbang mechanism used to transfer data to the controller
> doesn't have a maximum period, meaning, data is clocked in using a
> gpio. For example, for the burst write shown previously, I am just
> cycling the WRITE signal on/off to clock the data into the controller.
> Of course, it would be best if I can clock that data in very fast, so
> a gpio that requires more than 50ns to set/clear would still work but
> would make the display appear slower than it really was.
>
> Thanks,
> jaya

If you're really interested in it, we might find enough unused (NC) but
connected GPIO plus those we can free by killing other function blocks like
WLAN, BT etc so you might get 22 free GPIO in the end. Wouldn't keep much of
FR functionality though.

I think converting glamo LCD IO to push out your data might be worth giving it
a try.

cheers
jOERG