MICBIAS buzz injection

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 15 02:51:53 CET 2009

We have an issue regarding HW-driven max output level of the A5..A7-mic vs max
input sensitivity of Wolfson 8753. Anyway this is about some 20dB missmatch,
and regarding the amount of noise/distortion the mic introduces by itself
this won't spoil our overall signal quality balance. (you might get sth like
a 10..14 bit resolution)
8753 has such a low noise floor even at A/D conversion (see datasheet) you
won't recognize or notice the problem, as you still get much better than 60dB
S/N. Just boost the digital signal to 0dB and everything will be fine. (I
apologize for this botch, but it's not really a problem. Builtin mic isn't
HiFi anyway, for bootleg record purposes please use a decent stereo mic
connected via USB)

And yes, of course you can record from mic by sw. What do you think we
designed this device for ;-) ?

cheers
jOERG