aux button broke off at the soldering points

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Jun 11 16:55:21 CEST 2009

Am Do  11. Juni 2009 schrieb Christian Panse:
> hi,
>
> after three weeks of using my openmoko the aux button broke off at the
> soldering points.
>
> a picture of the tragedy can be seen here:
> http://christian.panse.googlepages.com/openmokoAux.jpg
>
> there apparently seems to be a weak point.
>
> if there is someone in the Zurich area who can fix this, please let me know.
>
> thanks,
>
> Christian

Yes, I agree this -though very usual in industry - feels to me like poor ME.
The AUX plastic button should have another mechanical end stop than just the
switch. The force coupled from button to the switch should be transferred by
some elastic material (spring, foam, rubber, etc), thus effectively limiting
the max force applied to the switch, while a solid rugged end stop takes all
the remaining vandalism. Well, kinda too late to change this detail for
MP :-/

Please do NOT try any gluing or welding with inappropriate means,for now it
looks like everybody savvy in soldering SMT might repair your device. If
ruining switch with glue this will change, and a fitting replacement is hard
to find.

You should contact your reseller. To me this seems like a warranty case.

cheers
good luck
jOERG