Power Button/USB Problems

Daemon D unnaturaltragedy at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 20:41:17 CEST 2009

--- On Mon, 5/4/09, Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org> wrote:

> From: Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org>
> Subject: Re: Power Button/USB Problems
> To: hardware at lists.openmoko.org, unnaturaltragedy at yahoo.com
> Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 1:46 AM
> Am Mo  4. Mai 2009 schrieb Daemon D:
> >
> > Since I've gotten my Neo Freerunner about a month
> ago it has sporadically
> powered off when plugging in the USB cable. Other times I
> have just moved the
> Freerunner a little bit in my hand and it reboots. The
> final weirdness was
> that it was sitting by itself, completely powered off, not
> plugged into
> anything and after about an hour it decided to turn itself
> on, definitely not
> resuming, it totally booted from beginning. I have found
> the whole
> finding-a-functional-operating-system thing to be
> challenging but this
> suspected hardware problem make it unusable/untrustable.
>
> Power up "out of nothing" might be triggered by
> RTC-alarm.
> But taking into account the random powerdown on USB insert
> it's probably
> caused by same issue.
> Was this a regular shutdown or instant power-cut kind of
> power-off/reboot?
> Was it all with one distro (which one??) or did you check
> with different
> kernel/rootfs?
>
> /jOERG

The USB-plugging issues were on  Qt_Extended_4.4.3, I believe. The powerup out of nothing was Android panicking v17 latest noncupcake jiffs2. As far as just holding it and it shutting off, is it possible the acclerometers are doing something?

Regarding powering off out of nothing. I thought that if it was off, it was OFF. Is there some level of processing still running?