Video Acceleration and power use when playing video.

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Fri Jul 6 23:32:56 CEST 2007

As I understand it, the chip under consideration will not decode audio.

This essentially means that the CPU can not usually be slowed down, as
it is required to decode MP3 audio or many other formats.

This basically means that there is very limited power saving if any
possible, compared to simply doing it all in the CPU.

Of course, it will make more video able to be decoded, without transcoding.

On some personal tests, I found on a 2.8" screen, mpeg1 video at 120*160
  and 300kbits/s worked just fine, which means that the only benefit
this may have in terms of playback is if you want to have more than ~5
hours/gigabyte, using more advanced video encodings that the CPU can't
do, or larger video than is actually visually needed, for playback on
other devices.