Debug port changes.

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Fri Jul 13 23:11:24 CEST 2007

Given that the number of debug boards around that use all of the lines
in the debug connector is tiny, as is the number of P0s, compared to the
eventual release.

I'd like to suggest that this connector be altered to better enable
expansion.

Either maintain the existing connector, or make available a small
flex-cable adaptor for old debug boards.

Using some of the now-deleted address/data bus wires.

Add:
USB host/device D+ and D-. Wired across external USB port.
   This makes possible compact cases without things sticking into the
external port.
Bluetooth USB D+ and D- would be a nice addition.

Copy of external USB +5V - to enable 'internal' charging and power
supply through one connector. This would also allow - with a direct
battery connection in addition - a powered host mode using a SMPS. (if
battery charger can be turned off in software)

Power supply.
Logic indications of Power_on, Power_on_screensave, power_sleep may be
of use, though omitting these would only minorly complicate most devices.

Either internal 3.3V supply, or a direct connection to the battery. If
internal 3.3V supply, a connection to the sleep power rail in addition
would be nice.

I do understand that this would give the opportunity to break the device.