jffs2 crc failures on Phase0 device

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Tue Mar 27 07:47:22 CEST 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 12:14:15PM +0930, Rod Whitby wrote:
> I'm seeing messages like this on my Phase0 device:

when exactly do you see them?  At bootup?  If yes, after a clean
shutdown or after a system crash?

In the latter case I think they're quite normal.  (after all, if the
system crashes, there is some uncommitted/unwritten data in the buffer
cache.

If it's at some point during runtime, then it's much more likely to be a
bad block.

> Jan  1 00:01:09 fic-gta01 user.notice kernel: JFFS2 notice: (835)
> read_dnode: node CRC failed on dnode at 0x2298fc4: read 0xffffffff,
> calculated 0xf5b02019
> Jan  1 00:01:09 fic-gta01 user.notice kernel: JFFS2 notice: (835)
> check_node_data: wrong data CRC in data node at 0x033a2600: read
> 0x16050257, calculated 0x9ebdd6a.
>
> I assume it's a bad block in the NAND flash.  Is that correct?

Not neccessarily.

> If so, how do I add this to the bad block table?

the mtd system should automatically take care of adding bad blocks to
the table, if erasing and re-writing them does not help.