GSM power usage / standby time

Erland Lewin erland at lewin.nu
Thu Nov 15 16:51:12 CET 2007

I was looking at the power management page on the OpenMoko Wiki, which
says that the GSM part draws 45 mW when idle but connected (that's for
the GTA01, but I think the GTA02 has the same GSM chipset), and that the
battery capacity after power supply losses is 3.5 Wh. This would give a
theoretical maximal standby time of about 3 days (in practice lower
because I guess things like RAM refresh will use power too).

This sounds low to me. I googled other phones using the Nokia BL-5C
battery, and found for instance the Nokia 3100 which has an advertised
standby time of 410 hours (17 days) with an 850 mAh battery.

Are the figures on the OpenMoko wiki correct, and if so, why is the
Neo1973 GSM standby power consumption so much (>5 times) higher than
other phones'?