Force analog calls??

Karsten Ensinger at
Sat Oct 20 11:18:26 CEST 2007

Christopher Earl wrote:
> I thought my GSM chip was dead. It was not like all the others.
> I did not get errors. Finally, i tried going to a larger town,
> i got a populated AT+COPS=? . So i called my service provider,
> Got a tech on the line, and he said "Oh i want that phone.However,
> there is not 900/1900 coverage in your area.". My area does NOT have
> GSM 900/1900 it only has 850. I live in a podunk cattle town, for now.
> Is there any way of forcing an analog only connection?   I would also
> like to know if I can 'cu' into the analog chip as I can with the GSM
> chip. Any other work arounds would acceptable too. Sorry if this is
> the wrong list.

Unfortunately the GSM chipset of the Neo1973 SHOULD support 850, 900,
1800 and 1900 MHz, but some user reports say that 850 is not working
with the currently delivered version. I have not read any statement
from an official side if this is true and if it is due to software
(firmware) or hardware problems.
There is of course not such a thing as "analog" connectivity with a GSM
chipset. GSM by definition is digital.