Somewhat bricked neo problem

Karsten Ensinger karsten.at.openmoko at onlinehome.de
Sat Sep 15 20:23:06 CEST 2007

Gary Oliver wrote:
> [...]
> Not so.  Now I have two fully charged batteries, but the NEO won't
> start.   I should note that until this time, I had NOT opened the case
> (other than the back cover to insert the battery.)
>
> But the strange thing:  If I install the debug board connection, and
> power the debug board, the unit will boot and run normally (although the
> battery does seem to get a bit warm...)
> [...]
> One possibly significant thing: If I let the unit fully discharge by
> removing the battery and letting it sit for several minutes, a power up
> will (after about *15* seconds, not 3, briefly flash the screen with
> some random pixels and then go blank.  The vibrator does not buzz.
> After this, there is no activity from the NEO until I either 1) plug in
> the debug board or 2) repeat the discharge process and try again.  I
> have followed all recommendations with respect to power application,
> when the debug board was installed (i.e. powered off, no battery, no USB.)
>
> Has anyone seen this and if so, what was the remedy?

Although I haven't tried to use the debug board yet (I lent it to
someone else), I can confirm the same behaviour with my GTA01vB4.
I just flashed a new u-boot (a version which was verified by others
to work) and made a reboot. Everything seemed to be ok until I
shut down the neo and let it connected to the laptop overnight.
Since the next morning the neo is dead. Just the flash of the screen
mentioned in your description can also be seen on my neo sometimes.
I even took a different device (a nokia bluetooth gps mouse) to
charge the neo batteries but to no avail. The neo stays dead even
with completely charged batteries.
When I get back my debug board, I will give it a try. Hopefully
someone else can bring some light into this because it is annoying.

Regards
Karsten