Bugzilla Bug 591 - dialing from contacts needs to be possible without stylus

Florian Klien florian at klien.cx
Thu Jul 12 16:23:06 CEST 2007

hello everyone,

On 12.07.2007, at 15:53, Mohammed Musallam wrote:
> I believe the dialer app should be a finger-app as well as the
> contacts app. A two page approach (ala iPhone) would be a better
> implementation of the contacts app which will give us more screen
> real estate for our large fingers.
>
> as much as I hate to say, Apple do better homework than others when
> it comes to display layout.
>
> OpenMoko's implementations could be similar but differs in one
> respect:
> a double tap would initiate a call to default number (or the only
> number present), which to my knowledge isn't present on the iPhone.
> The single tap would remain to switch the view to second page
> (which displays all of contact's details).
>
> what do you guys think?

i would agree with you on the two page approach.

the double tap stands for a firm decision the user makes. he is sure
he wants to call the number. because that is what he normally does
when it comes to phone numbers.
and here comes the point i want to lay my eyes on.

who decides what is done on a double tap? let the user decide that.
let the user edit a settings menu what he normally does with phone
numbers that come up on the phone anywhere (in the phone book, on
websites...) call them, send a text message, add them to the address
book, or whatever it is that comes in the future you can do with
phone numbers (maybe locate them somewhere with triangulation). let
the user decide. the default setting should be "calling the number" i
think, that is what most people would do on a phone :)

the single tap is a rather undecided move. it stands for "tell me
what i can do with that". here you should bring um the second page
which lets you decide to send a message, to call, to save it, to add
it to an existing contact (for websites...) or do something else.

regards
florian

--
Florian Klien
student of Telematics, tutor for 'Introduction to Structured