RFC: fingernav widget proposal

Andy Powell openmoko at automated.it
Sun Jul 29 12:58:21 CEST 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 21:37, pauric wrote:
> Guys, following on from some of the discussion here earlier in the
> week I thought about the current finger widget and its usability
> limitations.
>
> My ideas on an improved finger widget that will work in a more
> consistent way across more apps, Freeing up more screen space.
> http://web.mac.com/pauric_ocallaghan/openmoko_fingernav.pdf
>
> I've put together a few sketches and ideas as quickly as I could.
> I've been hit with some other projects at work-work so this isnt
> anywhere near as finished as I'd like.
>
> I'd appreciate some help if any of you have the time; to comment on
> the document.  In any way you like, but you should be able to comment
> directly on to the pdf with reader.
>
> No holds barred, good idea/bad idea? missing sections, further
> details... anything.  I need a little jump start taking it to the next
> stage of definition.
>
> Thanks all - have a lazy weekend. - p

As I've already mentioned to you in #openmoko on irc, I think this is a
fantastic idea. I do;t know if you 'invented' it but now that I've seen it it
seems like a blindingly obvious way to extend options.. Of course, it's
blindingly obvious *now*...  :)

The only thing I would suggest is that rather than use words for the items
make it a little more global and use icons..

Andy / ScaredyCat