start writing applications - how?

Andreas Jellinghaus aj at dungeon.inka.de
Thu Nov 15 19:45:59 CET 2007

Marc Verwerft wrote:
> The developers works (IBM) site has a very good tutorial that appeared
> Nov. 13. It's titled 'Software development for the OpenMoko Linux
> phone'. You do have to register but it's worth it. It's the best I've
> found up to now.
> They explain the development envitonment and start with a simple
> 'Hello World' application using a recipe with bitbake.. Next step is a
> minimal GTK+ application and finally a system information applet!
>
> Have a look at
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-openmoko-i.html?ca=drs-

thanks for the pointer. unfortunatly this seems to be the same information
as is in the wiki already, and it might totaly disappoint users by going
down the many hours - many gigabyte road of compiling your own moko from
scratch as far as I can see.

I found out all I had to do, was download a recent image from
buildhost.openmoko.org, flash it to my neo, setup usb networking,
ssh to the neo, cut&paste some pygtk example and i could start my hello
world application. maybe 15 minutes (plus many hours before for collecting
all the necessary information).

I put my experience into the wiki at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:AndreasJellinghaus/GetStarted

maybe this could be converted into some more prominent page?
or should we add lots of warning before someone bricks his moko?
(I included a few warnings already, and I can't do another run to verify
everything, as currently buildhost.openmoko.org is down.)

Regards, Andreas