libgsmd-tool not supporting some SMS encodings

Major A andras.g.major at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 22:25:23 CET 2007

Hi,

Currently I use libgsmd-tool for reading and writing text messages
(while, hopefully, someone out there is developing a proper SMS
application...). I've recently received a bunch of messages that
libgsmd-tool just won't display -- they seem to be encoded in a
different character set than plain old English text messages.

Here's what http://rednaxela.net/pdu.php says about it:

Receipt requested
Data Header
SMSC#+XXXXXXXXXXX
Sender:+XXXXXXXXXX
TimeStamp:30/11/07 21:35:53 GMT ?
TP_PID:00
TP_DCS:08
TP_DCS-popis:Uncompressed Text
No class
Alphabet:UCS2(16)bit

XXXXXXXXXXX
Length:5

I've replaced all private data with XXXXXX, of course. I guess it's
the UCS2 bit that breaks libgsmd-tool.

Is there any chance this gets supported in the near future?

Thanks,

  Andras