OpenMoko application as Final Year Project

Chris Lord chris at openedhand.com
Sat Oct 6 10:12:39 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 19:51 +0200, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> > It doesn't matter how good or bad ipkg is, running Qt apps on a system
> > with limited system memory when the main toolkit being used isn't
> > Qt is
> > not a good idea.
>
> If the Qt app is getting a lot of actual usage, then whats the
> problem?  That is to say, if there are useful Qt apps which can run,
> then they should not be shut out just because its a 'bad idea'.
>
> > >Even regardless of memory, unless someone steps up to
> > write themes that look exactly the same on both Qt and GTK and
> > replicates the custom GTK widgets, Qt apps will still not look or feel
> > correct on the OpenMoko platform either.
> >

> Hey, if someone finds it useful, whats the fuss?  There's no point in
> not doing something if it can be done.  I can think of a few useful
> Qt apps I'd like to at least be -able- to run, even if its taxing of
> the poor little neo ..

I haven't said that Qt apps should be shut out. When picking a platform
to write a *new* app for OpenMoko, unless there's some prior reason not
to, you should pick GTK. This is the toolkit that every core OpenMoko
application uses and will provide you with great benefits in many areas
(memory, look and feel, examples, custom widgets, system integration,
etc.). Picking anything else will make you app alien to the rest of the
OpenMoko environment.

If I were running GNOME, I wouldn't use Konqueror for the file manager,
even if it is more capable than Nautilus, because it doesn't integrate
with the rest of the environment. Likewise if I were running KDE, I
wouldn't use Epiphany for the browser.

--Chris

p.s. Sorry if I assumed wrong when I figured the list should have been
CC'd