Usability Team & User Centered Design Proces

Jon openmoko at snowulf.com
Thu Oct 18 19:12:15 CEST 2007

#1 - The Wiki. You are correct.  It isn't there for discussing, just
results.  But I put up the first bits that we had, so if someone wanted to
revise what I had written - they could.

#2 - I'd have to lean towards "Text Message".  While I personally use SMS, I
know that most people give me this funny look like I'm speaking Russian when
I say it.  In the U.S. it seems that "Text Message" is the way to go.  That
is what it says in my RAZR, thats what they advertise on TV, and thats what
the cell plans include ("200 Text Messages", etc)

As for an SMS application, I think it should work like a very simple email
client.  A main menu with the following options:  New, Drafts, Inbox,
Outbox/Sent, Quick Messages, and possibly Settings.  So you can create a new
message, save it (to drafts) or send it, and then check the message status
in the Outbox.  Quick Messages are "canned" messages that you can write once
and save - For example: "I'm busy, can I contact you later?", "Please Call",
"What time?", "Hey! Hows it going?".

I think this is rather standard.  Most phones these days will have something
similar to what I just described.  The one piece of importance of course
will be the ability get people into the application and composing & sending
new messages as fast as possible.  Also, I realize that this probably is a
little bit more advanced than the "simple SMS messaging application" that
you requested.  But if you want it simpler, just drop features from what
you'd normally see.  No Quick Messages, no settings, etc.

-Jon