Usability Team & User Centered Design Proces

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Fri Oct 19 11:25:00 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 15:00 -0700, Jon wrote:
> On 10/18/07, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> As for the lack of main menu's.  Is there any screen shots to
> demonstrate how this works?  I realize that the point is to make
> everything "Finger" accessible, which can be done with a main menu (if
> you ask me) or not.  I'm just interested in how you get to where you
> want to go as quick as possible.  The only thing I can think of is the
> messaging applications "home" screen being the inbox/outbox/thread
> view, which options for preferences and new message somewhere (button
> on the bottom?).

Have you seen the screenshots of the current GUI design? These have
three or four buttons at the top of the screen for the main functions
and then three or four "tabs" at the bottom of the screen to switch to
different screens (or "pages").

In the address book application, the first page lists the contacts
available. The toolbar contains, Dial, SMS and New actions.

The second page contains the details of the selected contact, and has
"Edit Mode" and "Delete" actions in the toolbar.

The third and fourth pages display the communication history and contact
groups respectively.

So far, the only thing I am unsure this model is that the actions on the
first page affect the content of the other pages. However, as long as
this relationship is clear to the user it probably shouldn't be a
problem.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/