Text Messaging Application Design

Bryan Copeland bcopeld at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 18:57:02 CEST 2007

Hey Jon sorry about the mix-up,

Agreed... image was huge, I have damn Gmail to thank for making me lazy.
Basically you read me right, and I think it works for Text Messages and
Email both. "Friends" is a really broad term, surely you must be able to
group them a little further?

For example, I don't mind sharing that in my MSN List I have the following
groups of friends:
-Acadia (University)
   -->Still There
   -->Alumni
-Japan
-IUJ
   -->Still There
   -->Alumni
-Moncton
-Halifax
-Out West
-Sony
-Other Contacts

It's useful because sometimes two friends in different groups have the same
name, and I don't exactly memorize nicknames or handles, so it helps me
understand who a message is coming from. Personally, I also like to keep all
the groups closed until I receive messages then quickly snap the group open
and message away... presenting a better, more intuitive view to that was my
suggestion

Of course, the great thing about MSN is that its simple to use, that's what
really made it take off over other alternatives. So the ability to present a
standard flat list view is also important. Maybe as Jon mentioned IM and
Mobile Texting are best viewed as two entirely different concepts too. What
does everyone think?

Bryan