Text Messaging Application Design

Jon openmoko at snowulf.com
Thu Oct 25 01:19:49 CEST 2007

On 10/24/07, Dave Neary <dave.neary at wengo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Joshua Layne wrote:
> > On Wengo specifically - does it leverage Telepathy or is it a total
> > rewrite (not making any statement as to which was first....)  Telepathy
> > also seems to do much of this - just no SIP.
>
> "Rewrite" is a bit harsh. We don't leverage Telepathy. But then, when we
> wrote the softphone, that wasn't an option.
>
> Also, we're looking for a very large public - so from the start we were
> designed as cross-platform & standards-based. Telepathy has
> traditionally focussed on Linux, and up until recently wasn't available
> on Windows (not sure if that's changed). It's entirely possible to make
> a connection manager (like the Sofia SIP connection manager) for phapi,
>   our SIP abstraction layer, or/and to adapt the front-end to use the
> Telepathy API to send messages through back-ends which are available.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave.
>
> --
> Dave Neary
> OpenWengo Community Development Manager
> Email: dave.neary at wengo.com
> Tel: +33 9 51 13 46 45
> Mob: +33 6 28 09 73 11
>
> Ok...

I was going to write this a bit sooner, but since things got side tracked,
it seems not to matter.  First I'd like to say that SMS/Pidgin (or similar)
integration would be uber cool in my opinion.

Secondly I have to say this following bit for the record: Text Messaging !=
Instant Messaging.  SMS = Text Messaging.

While long ago this thread was jacked (Demonstrating one of the failures of
using a thread based messaging system).  We probably should go back and look
at the original purpose of the thread: to "focus on the tasks involved in a
Text Message application. "

-Jon