Text Messaging Application Design

Jon openmoko at snowulf.com
Thu Oct 25 19:28:35 CEST 2007

On 10/24/07, Christie Dudley <longobord at gmail.com> wrote:

> One inaccuracy:
>
> On 10/24/07, Jon <openmoko at snowulf.com> wrote:
> >
> > Here are a few quick points in considering "unified" messaging system.
> > 1- SMS is one paid add-on.  Data service (for IM) is a separate paid
> > add-on. Many people have one, or the other - not nearly as many have both.
>

> I am not aware  of anything that does not support SMS that does support
> data, although SMS is seldom, if ever, used by those whohave a choice.  I
> certainly use both with my current phone.  This is definitely not an
> either/or situation, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.  I
> like your assessment of the rest, though.  Although there are length
> limitations to IM as well, it's generally considerably longer.
>
> Christie
>
> --
> --------------------------
> Nothing is as damning as the lies you tell yourself.

I'm not saying that there are phones that support data and SMS - I'm talking
about calling plans.  For example, my personal plan I get 200 SMS messages a
month and zero data (for free - and I have no intention of paying their per
KB rates).  On my business phone I get unlimited data and no SMS's (Again,
no intention of paying for their per SMS fee).  I know I'm not alone on this
in either case.

What I'm simply saying here is that there will be people that will want to
specifically use (for example) IM's (since they travel over data service),
and _disable_ sending SMS's in all but the most important of times.  Of
course the reverse would be true with people using SMS only.

-Jon