[i18n] some preliminary questions

Rodolphe Ortalo rodolphe.ortalo at free.fr
Sat Apr 21 13:15:01 CEST 2007

Le vendredi 20 avril 2007 à 16:59 +0200, Jean-Sébastien Bour a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for some hints on i18n good manners.
> I post on this list since it is adviced to do so on the Translation
> Howto wiki page. If it's not the right place, please excuse me :)
>
> I am specifically willing to do/help the French translation.

Excellente idée! ;-)

[...]
> So here are my questions :
>
> * is there another way to track translatable apps (with po/ directory
> and .po(t) files) than find/locate shell commands or randomly browsing
> through the sources ? If there is no other option than looking in po/
> directories, where should they be ? (there are soooo much src/, svn/ and
> co...)

You could look in configure.ac to see if i18n related macros are present
(AM_GLIB_GETTEXTIZE for example). But maybe this is not the kind of
answer you expected... ;-)
Well, the content of the po directory is a good source of information. I
guess: "find /path/to/source -type d -name po" is your friend.

> * what is the best way to submit my changed .po files ? A mail on this
> (or another) list with for example "[i18n] french translation for
> app-name" as subject, and the file (or a link to download it) attached ?

IMHO, the best way is simply to send the new or updated .po file to the
primary maintainer. That's very easy to drop in the po/ dir from the
developper point of view. (Testing may not - e.g. someone sent me a
ru.po for openmoko-calculator [1] but I have not yet been able to test
it simply because the RU locale is not available on my system. Anyway,
even if it were, that would not make me capable of reading russian
altogether. All in all, the developper simply trusts the translator and
users can switch back to the C locale if needed.)

Rodolphe

[1] Soon to be added to SVN btw Evgeny, I have access myself now.