Fwd: debian etch chroot, fix!

Brian Brunswick brian at ithil.org
Fri Aug 3 23:50:35 CEST 2007

On 03/08/07, Marcin Juszkiewicz <openembedded at hrw.one.pl> wrote:
> Dnia piątek, 3 sierpnia 2007, Brian Brunswick napisał:
>
> > Having received the big black box on Monday, I've had time to do a
> > little playing, and the first thing I came across was finding that
> > standard debian-compiled arm binaries didn't run.
>
> I was curious when someone will try to run Debian binaries on Neo...
> Remember that mixing hardfloat (Debian) with softfloat (Neo) does not
> warranty any results. Some software will work, some will fail, some will
> give you wrong results (even calculators). We had that problem before
> with Zaurus users which tried to run SharpROM compatible software under
> OpenZaurus.

I'm using a full chroot, so everything should be ok. I never imagined that
softfloat libraries would be usable with a hardfloat binary - does the dynamic
linker really allow it?

> > Might I suggest that this change would be well worth while putting
> > into the standard package, since its extremely useful to be able to
> > just grab debian binaries to experiment with libraries and toolkits.
>
> With OpenMoko 2007.2 you will be able to grab Ångström packages and do
> tests does it works or not. There is also 'armel' unofficial Debian port
> which will be more or less compatible.

armel seems like the best bet for performance indeed. I didn't know it was
so far along.

The kernel options should still be fixed however, to at least remove
FASTFPE which does nothing. I also would like to trade 15K for the
float emul too,
just for flexibility.

> OE already contain quite big amount of software - its just a matter of
> build it.

Yeah, but the dark side^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H pre-built is just so convenient...

--
Brian_Brunswick____brian at ithil.org____Wit____Disclaimer____!Shortsig_rules!