Issues getting started

Casten casten at smithmicro.com
Fri Aug 17 22:30:29 CEST 2007

Hello everyone,

My name is Casten Riepling and I am trying to get the dev environment up and
running.

If this is not the right forum for these types of questions, I apologize.
If you could direct we to the right place, it would be sincerely
appreciated.

I was wondering if there was a Linux distro that is recommended.  I see
Ubuntu mentioned.  I tried running Fedora 8 in VMWare Player on my windows
box with poor results.  Aside from very poor performance, I get a seg fault
when running "make openmoko-devel-image" with the MokoMakefile.  Up to that
point that I followed the directions at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/MokoMakefile

I'll include the error message in case it is helpful.

	[casten at localhost moko]$ make openmoko-devel-image
	( cd build && . ../setup-env && \
      	    bitbake openmoko-devel-image )
	/bin/sh: line 1: 27055 Segmentation fault      bitbake
openmoko-devel-image
	make: *** [openmoko-devel-image] Error 139

Without having made any changes, I am wondering if I should just scrap
Fedora.  I really don't care which distro I use.  My goal is just to get up
and compiling and running.

Any advice?

Thanks so much.
-Casten