Adding Applications To OpenMoko The Right Way

Emre Turkay emreturkay at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 14:27:05 CEST 2007

I agree with Robert on the simplicity of the bb files and ease of the
compilation process with openembedded. I think the real confusion
caused by the openmoko development over openembedded. When someone
read the openembedded user manual and follow the step by step
processes, s/he sees that it doesn't work, even the files and
directory structures differ.

I would love to see a detailed tutorial written for the application
development with openmoko and how it sits on top of openembedded,
which includes the headings
- "how to port an already existing autotools project to openmoko",
- "how to extend an already existing openmoko application",
- "how to extend the openembedded specific code",
- "how to write new openmoko applications",
- "how to commit your changes/additions to the openmoko & openembedded
repositories."
Of course it all depends on someone who has time but maybe FIC folks
can give a head to this work.

I think it will take time for someone to master all the details of
openmoko/openembedded development tools and I believe a document/wiki
page with a quick start/howto like structure will give a boost to the
openmoko applications/developments. Come on folks there are about one
thousand people out there who has neo and probably with some level of
programming background (not including ppl working with qemu).

emre