Adding Applications To OpenMoko The Right Way

Gergely Kis openmoko at kisgergely.com
Thu Aug 30 13:22:58 CEST 2007

Hello,

On 8/28/07, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org> wrote:
> Please bear with us a bit longer, a dedicated "OE-free" toolchain for application developers is on our todo list. In the meantime, the best means to add custom applications to the openmoko image is to derive own task and image packages from it. See e.g. how openmoko-devel-image differs from openmoko-image (by RDEPENDing on one additional task that -- in turn -- depends on some additional applications).

Could I ask why this decision was made? In my understanding the only
problem with the OE based environment is that you need to build
everything yourself, instead of being able to use a precompiled
OE/OpenMoko environment, and (re)build only the developed application.
I found an initiative in the OpenEmbedded Wiki
http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/PackagedStaging, but Koen told me
that the current focus shifted towards making the toolchain
packageable first and worrying about the staging later. Are these
initiatives related in any way?

Best Regards,
Gergely