Please no crossposting! Re: Information regarding theMessaging Support in OpenMoko

Richi Plana myopenmoko at richip.dhs.org
Thu Feb 1 06:48:45 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 09:46 +0800, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
> You might be right. But I personally feel that MMS is fundamentally flawed.
> Costs aside, it's just not the way I think media should be transferred. The
> benefits are just too low for the end user. We're trying to fix this.
>
> Really guys, we're trying to rethink lots of things with OpenMoko. I don't
> want to do the same things just running under FOSS. We'd be missing out on a
> huge invitation to innovate both as a company and a community. Why not use
> the flexibility and rethink how we want these devices to work -- as end
> users -- not just for geeks but for everyone? I'm not saying we'll get
> things right the first time. Just that we're going to try our best ;-)

I, personally, do not use MMS. I'm not even sure if that service is
available here in Calgary, AB with the carriers here. I've had a dinky,
free phone since the start waiting for the right phone (this one) to
come along. However, we should also keep in mind that which the majority
of phones out there support, and right now (at least in Europe according
to the research mentioned above), it seems to be MMS.

One approach we could use is to have the application layer (the GUI as
seen by the user) designed right, and the underlying protocol would be
the one to differ. So a user can compose some multimedia message and it
could be sent out as MMS (possibly with a loss of formatting due to
constraints in MMS). This would be a smart way to get users used to our
application frontend so that when we switch to that better
infrastructure you're dreaming of, it would make no difference to the
users. They'll just notice that things have just gotten better. Once the
current MMS users who've bought into OpenMoko have had a taste of what
we can offer, they wouldn't want to go back. But we have to hook them in
the first place.

One thing we have going for us is that it's all in software.
--

Richi Plana