mail and contacts app

Richi Plana myopenmoko at richip.dhs.org
Sat Feb 3 01:21:57 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 23:21 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Right, there's one snag: tinymail uses its own forked little version of EDS, so if you use
> tinymail + openmoko PIM, you will have *2* copies of the EDS libs on your device :(

Well, I'd like to know the rationale behind the use of a forked version.
As far as I know, there was mention on these lists that we were already
eying a modified version of EDS ... one that's designed specifically for
use in embedded platforms (lower memory usage and performance) as well
as offering interfaces via D-Bus (another, it seems, preferred OpenMoko
subsystem). The project is called Embedded Evolution Data Server
<http://projects.o-hand.com/eds>.

The thread started here:
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-devel/2007-January/000073.html

Does that make it three versions of EDS we're talking about (the Novell
original, Philip van Hoof's and EEDS)? Or is Phillip's and EEDS the
same?

People who're interested in tinymail should really follow Phillip's blog
<http://pvanhoof.be/blog/>. I've been reading his posts via
http://planet.gnome.org/ for some time now.
--

Richi Plana