mail and contacts app

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Sun Feb 4 22:52:34 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 11:24 -0800, Jon Phillips wrote:

> Do these changes seem to speed up your app and possibly could speed up
> Evolution in general? I'm having great fun with these apps because of
> their speed (almost to the point of where I want to use them full-time
> rather than "crashy" evolution!!!)

Speed is a little bit abstract here. Some of the patches speed up in
pure raw performance. Others will speed things up because less bytes are
being transmitted between you and the IMAP server.

Most reduce memory consumption. Which often means that they actually
cause things to be less performing.

In general will the changes mean that they will speed up things on
mobile devices. And that the changes make things "possible" on mobile
devices, whereas they used to be more or less impossible caused by
aggressive memory consumption (allocations of more than 60MB ram).

> > Note that I *did* actively contact them about this and that I *did* tell
> > them that we should better cooperate and work on a single version. They
> > *did*, however, told me that they are only interested in "upstream" eds.
>
> Is EDS mostly controlled by Novell? Yes, seems like a big wall to jump
> to get changes in...like OO.o or something...

Yes

> > A list of the changes:
> >
> >   o. Offline POP3 support
> >   o. Summary support for POP3 using TOP
> >   o. CONDSTORE support
> >   o. BINARY support
> >   o. Bandwidth reductions when retrieving the summary from IMAP
> >   o. Really major memory consumption reductions when dealing with
> >      summaries
> >   o. Extremely major memory consumption reductions when downloading
> >      summary from IMAP servers
> >   o. A major memory consumption reduction when downloading a message
> >      from an IMAP server (streaming it directly from the TCP/IP stream
> >      to the filesystem, rather than first copying it)
> >   o. Support for partial retrieval (only the message, not the
> >      attachments) for IMAP
> >   o. Support for partial retrieval (only the message, not the
> >      attachments) for POP
> >   o. Multiple bugfixes (major ones)
> >   o. Removing all compilation warnings and also some real bugs caused by
> >      not looking at them (using variables uninitialised, which happened
> >      quite often in Camel)
> >
> > In *near* future will much more such changes happen. For example IDLE
> > support in the IMAP provider of Camel and changes to all the subsystems
> > of Camel that are needed in order to support this.
>
> Man, I want to run with these changes when using Evolution...this is
> great!

You can of course help me with getting them upstream. Get in touch if
that is what you want to work on.

--
Philip Van Hoof, software developer
home: me at pvanhoof dot be