gps software for openmoko

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Wed Feb 7 15:24:20 CET 2007

On 2/7/07, Krzysztof Kajkowski <cayco at poczta.cayco.pl> wrote:

> 2007/2/6, Andrew Turner <ajturner at highearthorbit.com>:
> >
> > Hi Krzystztof - Check out the OpenMoKo software page on the wiki under
> > GPS and Mapping:
> > http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/OpenMoko/Software
> >
> > It lists several possible software packages that would be good options.
>
> Yes, I saw that page but there is only MaemoMapper mentioned. I do not see
> this app running nor there are any screen shots on page. It looks more like
> one-person-project to me that sensible solution for mature project (as
> OpenMoko would be).

MaemoMapper is actively supported and developed for the Nokia N800 (as
Koen pointed out the URL) and was done b/c GPSDrive I believe isn't
actively developed and had some other issues. Also, GPSDrive is
targeted to a computer rather than mobile does.

MaemoMapper is a good fit because it has similar goals for the N800 as
OpenMoko does for the Neo1973. Small interface, caching of maps, POI
database.

Also, OpenMoKo isn't a mature project - it's just starting out. using
an existing, supported open-source application seems to be right in
line with what OpenMoKo wants to do/be.

> IMHO if realy GPS should be killer app for OpenMoko (as wiki says) there
> should be good GPS mapping application or at least ability to run commercial
> GPS software.

Well, I would argue that GPS doesn't not necessarily imply "GPS
Mapping". Instead, GPS provides location for a number of
location-based services such as local weather, news, photos, time,
friend finding, calendaring, etc. GPS being built-in provides a
lower-level reliable access to location and I don't think the primary
use will be people using their mobile phones to pull up a mapping app
all the time.

And as for running commercial software - there is a good chance a
company will develop a commercial app, but I am much more excited
about working on and supporting an open-source mapping application
with open-geodata.

Andrew