"linux-openmoko" project

Christopher Heiny clheiny at starband.net
Sun Feb 11 19:52:12 CET 2007

On Sunday 11 February 2007 05:51, picked up the following transmission
from Harald Welte:
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 01:34:00PM +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> > You all get to have 3 guesses on what "linux-openmoko" is without
> > looking at the project page on project.openmoko.org.
> >
> > Gforge admins: could you please stop approving bullshit
> > project(names) like this? Project renaming isn't really supported
> > in gforge, so it looks like you to delete the project and ask the
> > people involved to register a new, properly named one.
>
> erm, to be honest, this was already the second attempt to register
> the java-openmoko project correctly.  And in the second application,
> I didn't see that the short name was completely bogus.  Have deleted
> it now.  Thanks for noticing?

I can't BELIEVE that I blew that.  And that I didn't notice the
stupefyingly bad name (it should have been java-openmoko, as Mickey
suggested) in confirmation message.  I can only blame myself for
rushing through the submission, as there is no valid explanation of why
I would type that name for the project.

Marcin - I like your suggestion better (the redundant "-openmoko" bugged
me, too, but I didn't want to just call it "java"), but prefer "java-"
as a prefix rather than "-java" as a suffix.  I'll be resubmitting the
project later today (though I'm not sure Harald will let me through
again, given this track record :-)) as "java-pkg" unless someone
suggests a better name.

Koen & IRC guys - next time you catch something like that, please check
with the project admin to make sure that's really what they intended
before you fly off the handle.  You can flush away a lot of credibility
by ranting about someone's "religion" without actually even talking to
that person first.

Everyone else - sorry for the bonehead mistake.