Integer pixel operations for gtk+?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Feb 12 23:48:06 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 14:29 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:

> There was some talk on the cairo list about moving image stuff into
> cairo and having
> optimized implementations there. It would be a nice experiment since
> the cairo developers
> are a lot more open to suggestions and contributions than the gtk+
> people.

Hi Koen,

Other than "this is not productive", I want to explain the reason for
this being perceived as it is.  Gtk+ is fat and old, and the maintainers
are currently experiencing extreme shortage of human resources [1].  I
guess there's an average of one full-time developer working on it at
this time.   In contrast cairo is a LOT smaller a project and has Carl
working on it fulltime, plus many developers working on various backends
and optimizations.

IIRC last talk this issue was raised by embedded developers, the Gtk+
team didn't have any problem with giving the embedded teams access to
work on branches in the upstream Gtk+ repo.  Not mentioning that
everyone is free to set up a tree whereever they desire.

Anyway, my 0.02CAD

[1]http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-December/msg00074.html

--
behdad