Recipe for setting up OpenEmbedded environment on wiki

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Thu Feb 15 14:00:37 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 00:03 -0800, michael at michaelshiloh.com wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Koen Kooi wrote:

> > michael at michaelshiloh.com schreef:
> >> Phil, Richi - I added a page for this on the wiki, with only minor edits.
> >> Please correct as you see fit.
> >>
> >>   http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/OpenMoko/OpenEmbedded/SettingUpOEForFC
> >>
> >> Please feel free to take credit for this page, as you two figured this out.
> >
> > How does that page give more info than the FC section in the Oeandyourdistro wiki at
> > openembedded.org? I sense another candidate for deletion.
>
> I don't know yet - it's not really complete. I mostly did it to save the
> efforts of Phil and Richi so others can benefit. If it turns out to be a
> duplicate then by all means delete. But I'd like to let Phil and Richi (or
> someone else using FC) confirm that the FC section on openembedded works for
> openmoko.

The info on

  http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/OpenMoko/OpenEmbedded/...

may have contained some redundancies to

  http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/OEandYourDistro

but it was not completely redundant.  Can't say yet without starting
from scratch and following the OEandYourDistro approach on FC6 if it
works-for-me; however, I can state categorically that it will not get
one to the same set of updated packages, since the ones available from
default repos are older than the requirements stated on the deleted
pages.  Conventional wisdom also advises against installing tarballs on
RPM-based systems as recommended for getting the required patch version
(which was not documented on the linuxtogo page IIRC - hard to tell with
the info gone).  Depending on specific path ordering to get the right
set of executables often leads to problems.  [The counter-argument to
the package-only philosophy is obviously that replacing core packages is
risky business.]  Better IMHO to have only one set of packages and to do
a chroot environment or use visualization if specific versions are
needed for special requirements. It is possible that the later versions
of the packages for FC6 I built are not required, but that is still not
clear to me.

My original intent in this effort was to get the tool-chain going (and
the procedure documented) on CentOS4 (Red Hat EL4 "free-as-in-speech
rebuild) and that is not mentioned on the openembedded distro page, nor
will following the FC5/6 instructions get one there as the available
CentOS/EL packages are either considerably older or currently
unavailable from the standard repos.

I do agree that redundant and possibly conflicting Wiki pages are bad,
but would suggest that a more "friendly" approach than deleting the
pages would be to add a warning at the top that the "definitive" site
for this should be the "OEandYourDistro" page, and suggest that the
authors add content there as appropriate.

My $0.02.

Phil