Recipe for setting up OpenEmbedded environment on wiki

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Thu Feb 15 16:14:51 CET 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 00:03 -0800, michael at michaelshiloh.com wrote:

>>> How does that page give more info than the FC section in the Oeandyourdistro wiki at
>>> openembedded.org? I sense another candidate for deletion.
>>
>> I don't know yet - it's not really complete. I mostly did it to save the
>> efforts of Phil and Richi so others can benefit. If it turns out to be a
>> duplicate then by all means delete. But I'd like to let Phil and Richi (or
>> someone else using FC) confirm that the FC section on openembedded works for
>> openmoko.
>
> The info on
>
>  http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/OpenMoko/OpenEmbedded/...
>
> may have contained some redundancies to
>
>  http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/OEandYourDistro
>
> but it was not completely redundant.  Can't say yet without starting
> from scratch and following the OEandYourDistro approach on FC6 if it
> works-for-me; however, I can state categorically that it will not get
> one to the same set of updated packages, since the ones available from
> default repos are older than the requirements stated on the deleted
> pages.  Conventional wisdom also advises against installing tarballs on
> RPM-based systems as recommended for getting the required patch version
> (which was not documented on the linuxtogo page IIRC - hard to tell with
> the info gone).  Depending on specific path ordering to get the right
> set of executables often leads to problems.  [The counter-argument to
> the package-only philosophy is obviously that replacing core packages is
> risky business.]  Better IMHO to have only one set of packages and to do
> a chroot environment or use visualization if specific versions are
> needed for special requirements. It is possible that the later versions
> of the packages for FC6 I built are not required, but that is still not
> clear to me.
>
> My original intent in this effort was to get the tool-chain going (and
> the procedure documented) on CentOS4 (Red Hat EL4 "free-as-in-speech
> rebuild) and that is not mentioned on the openembedded distro page, nor
> will following the FC5/6 instructions get one there as the available
> CentOS/EL packages are either considerably older or currently
> unavailable from the standard repos.
>
> I do agree that redundant and possibly conflicting Wiki pages are bad,
> but would suggest that a more "friendly" approach than deleting the
> pages would be to add a warning at the top that the "definitive" site
> for this should be the "OEandYourDistro" page, and suggest that the
> authors add content there as appropriate.
>

> My $0.02.
>
> Phil

Thank you Phil, you have made it clear for me why I find this information
useful, even though, as Koen says, much of it is redundant.

There is more than one way to set up the the build environment, with different
variations. Some people may prefer one, others may prefer another, and there
needs to be room for all.

I agree with Phil that it's impolite to delete someone elses work because it's
redundant. More polite to ask permission, or add a note pointing to the
official site.

I agree with Koen that it would be polite for the authors of these variations
to reference the official documentation, and I will do that on my recipes.

Michael