MokoMakefile - type "make openmoko-devel-image" and you're done.

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Fri Feb 16 03:55:55 CET 2007

I have created "MokoMakefile" - a fully automated way of setting up an
OpenMoko development environment.

Note that this does *not* replace bitbake, or svn, or monotone, or
openembedded, or qmake, or anything else.  It is a wrapper around all
that to make it easy to set up and maintain a development environment
that fully complies with the setup instructions published by OpenMoko.

Here are the steps to use it:

1/ Make sure your build host is set up according to:
   http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/OEandYourDistro
2/ mkdir /home/moko ; cd /home/moko
3/ wget http://www.rwhitby.net/files/openmoko/Makefile
4/ make openmoko-devel-image

This will set up the recommended directory structure as described in
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Building_OpenMoko_from_scratch, will
download all the required software (from the right places with the right
versions), and will immediately start building an image.

Once you have done this, you can choose to continue using the
MokoMakefile to initiate your subsequent builds, or you can go into the
build directory and run bitbake commands manually.  The choice is yours.

The nslu2-linux project has successfully used a similar "MasterMakefile"
(http://www.nslu2-linux.org/Makefile) for more than two years, and we
have found it to be an invaluable tool for getting new developers up and
running with a build environment which is configured the same as all the
other existing developers.  It brings the same repeatability to build
environment creation and maintenance as that which OpenEmbedded brings
to the main task of actually building embedded software distributions.

Since this MokoMakefile is what runs my personal build environment, it
will always be kept up to date with the latest build instructions.  I
will also be extending it to support building other OpenMoko stuff.

I would be happy for the OpenMoko core team to put this in a repository
somewhere where I (and they) can update and maintain it.  Alternatively,
I could start a MokoMakefile project at projects.openmoko.org if they
don't want to pick it up and use it internally.

MokoMakefile is recommended by 1 out of 1 new developer on #openmoko,
who said "For some reason last night I couldn't get my manual install of
everything to work (bb complained about my bbpath I think) ... but with
your makefile, it works great!"

Enjoy.

-- Rod