Request for Guided Walkthrough for configuring OpenEmbedded (Fedora Core walkthrough)

Richi Plana myopenmoko at richip.dhs.org
Sun Jan 28 09:12:41 CET 2007

Hi,

First of all, my apologies for replying without an In-reply-to: header.
I wasn't subscribed when the original message was posted.

Here's a walkthrough for what I did on a Fedora Core 5 box (though I'm
sure it will work just fine with FC6). The monotone and bitbake packages
are actually available from the fedora extras repository. Unfortunately,
at the time of this writing, extras only has monotone 0.31 and bitbake
1.6.0. I downloaded the SRPMS and updated them to the latest as required
by OpenEmbedded. I've generated spec files and source RPMs with the
updated packages, but I'm not sure how to share them. bitbake.spec is
2KB in size and monotone.spec is 8KB. If someone can tell me how to
share these files (I'd rather not use my home server), please let me
know.

1) Install packages needed to build.

There's actually quite a lot. Try doing an rpmbuild to see what the
missing packages are. Then just "yum install" them

2) Build and install monotone and bitbake (or install them from RPM
packages once they're made available)

$ rpmbuild --rebuild monotone-0.32-1.src.rpm
$ rpmbuild --rebuild bitbake-1.6.2-1.src.rpm
# rpm -Uhv RPMS/$(ARCH)/monotone-0.32-1.x86_64.rpm
# rpm -Uhv RPMS/noarch/bitbake-1.6.2-1.noarch.rpm

3) Pick a subdirectory to install OpenEmbedded stuff (I put them all in
one subdirectory under $HOME)

$ export OE_DIR=~/openembedded
$ mkdir -p $OE_DIR

4) Download OE monotone database and update (pull) it

$ cd $OE_DIR
$ wget -O - http://www.openembedded.org/snapshots/OE.mtn.bz2 | bzip -dc
> OE.mtn
$ mtn --db=OE.mtn pull monotone.openembedded.org org.openembedded.dev

5) Checkout the local copy of the embedded tree

$ cd $OE_DIR
$ mtn --db=OE.mtn checkout --branch=org.openembedded.dev

6) Create local.conf

$ cd $OE_DIR
$ mkdir -p build/conf
$ cp org.openembedded.dev/conf/local.conf.sample build/conf/local.conf
$ joe build/conf/local.conf # or emacs or vi or gedit or nano

6.a) I changed the dir where the sources were to be downloaded, but you
don't have to

DL_DIR = "${HOME}/src/openembedded/sources"

6.b) Comment out the BBFILES line and replace with

BBFILES =
"${HOME}/src/openembedded/org.openembedded.dev/packages/*/*.bb"

6.c) Add

MACHINE = "ep93xx"
DISTRO = "generic"

6.d) Comment out the last line

#REMOVE_THIS_LINE:="${@oe.fatal('Read the comments in your
conf/local.conf')}"

6.e) Oh, read the comments in the local.conf to get an understanding

7) Try building something

$ cd $OE_DIR
$ bitbake nano

I had to install additional packages to build (git, texi2html). Check
out "Fedora Core 5/6 instructions" here
<http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/OEandYourDistro> for a complete list
of the packages you would need.
--