Profiles - General Discussion

Rodolphe Ortalo rodolphe.ortalo at free.fr
Tue Jan 30 22:29:31 CET 2007

Le lundi 29 janvier 2007 à 18:20 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer a écrit :
> More musings...
>
> Hmmm....  a profile is really an access rights matrix:  depending on a
> variety of things
[...]

I tend to agree. Furthermore, I've already seen some serious research
work demonstrating that users (normal users, not technophile) do accept
to do a pretty high level of access control management if it can be done
step by step. (In fact, the benefits they find in simple access control
leads them to refine access control furthermore and, after a few
iteration, such users end up defining pretty complex rules very
voluntarily.)
What is probably difficult at the UI level is to provide such an
incremental behaviour. Maybe we could try some simple "by demonstration"
approaches such as: when a phone call arrives you can: ignore the call,
answer the call, put the caller in some group. (With a few predefined
groups like: work, family, to-ignore and some default behavior for
these.) This should encourage users to define more (user-specific)
groups, then rules for these groups, etc.

Well, anyway, it would be nice if the mobile was able to manage 80% of
the incoming calls itself no? ("I'll call you back at 15h30 for meeting
report", "I'll call you back at 16h", "Call me back at 16h30", "No he
won't forget to pick up Théo at school on time and yes his Neo will
remember him to buy some bread afterwards" ;-)

Rodolphe