Is vim included out-of-the-box or shall i port? (was: Re: Development environment

Richi Plana myopenmoko at richip.dhs.org
Wed Jan 31 19:45:09 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 08:52 -0800, michael at michaelshiloh.com wrote:
> Speaking of vim, will vim (or another derivitive of vi) be among the included
> applications, or shall I try cross-compiling it right now? (I can't live w/out
> vim).
>
> To justify this being on the developer list and not the community list I could
> pretend that only developers will want vim on their Neo.

Why would you want vim (or any source editor) running on your Neo? First
of all, the primary interface to the Neo is still its touchscreen.
Keyboards won't be available for a while. Second, it probably won't be
worth it to develop applications on the device itself (if that were even
possible given the memory constraints).

If you need to edit text on the phone, use the existing text editor
which, in all likelihood, will take better advantage of the interface
than vim would. I'm sure you could live without syntax highlighting for
a spell.
--

Richi Plana