How do I include a package in the image?

Jeremiah Flerchinger jeremiah.flerchinger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 21:44:15 CEST 2007

John Seghers wrote:

> I'm attempting to include a package containing phoneme-feature into an
> openmoko build.
>
> I've successfully (I think) built the package with the OpenEmbedded
> arm cross-compiling toolchain and have the .ipk package.  I cannot for
> the life of me find the way to get that package included into the image.
>

> One assumption I should state first is:
> /home/moko/build/tmp/rootfs/.... should contain the files from the
> package if it is installed in the image.  Is this correct?
>

> I've tried setting the documented IPKG_INSTALL in my bitbake recipe
> for phoneme. I've tried setting PACKAGE_INSTALL.
>
> I've tried adding the package name to the PACKAGE_INSTALL in
> openembedded/packages/images/openmoko-image.bb
>

> Can someone please shed some light on this?
>

> - John
>

> Cequint Incorporated
> 1809 7th Avenue
> Suite 1550
> Seattle, WA 98101
> USA
> (206)264-0979 Direct line
> (206)264-1909 Main number
> (206)299-9127 Fax
>
> www.cequint.com
> jseghers at cequint.com <mailto:jseghers at cequint.com>

Here's except I found at http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/FirstProject
which may relate.  I'm currently trying to get through some of their
documentation myself.

        Adding Packages to an Image

    This I found to be very obscure! There seems to be a peer
    relationship of the *task-bootstrap.bb* and *bootstrap-image.bb*.
    *bootstrap-image.bb* calls down to *task-bootstrap.bb* to get the
    recipies of the base system built. You would think that all you
    would have to do to add another package later is to add it to
    BOOTSTRAP_EXTRA_RDEPENDS? Not so!

    Adding the package name to BOOTSTRAP_EXTRA_RDEPENDS merely causes it
    to be built and packaged (.ipk), but it won't get added to the
    image! *bootstrap-image.bb* is a controlling recipe but it is
    *task-bootstrap.bb* that decides just what goes into that image.
    Strange, this caused me no end of removing the tmp directory and
    doing a fresh build just to add another package. :-(

    The solution is to rebuild the *task-bootstrap* package! When you
    add another package to BOOTSTRAP_EXTRA_RDEPENDS, merely run *bitbake
    -c rebuild task-bootstrap* and then do a *bitbake bootstrap-image*.
    It seems that *task-bootstrap* will build the collection (list) of
    what goes into the image, then *bootstrap-image**task-bootstrap*
    made. populates it from the list