Windows Client Software: The hard truth.

ramsesoriginal ramsesoriginal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 10:17:23 CEST 2007

 <openmoko-devel at lists.openmoko.org>On 7/13/07, Karsten Ensinger <
karsten.at.openmoko at onlinehome.de> wrote:

> I do not want to sound harsh, but I do not think that it is
> soooo important to have a special desktop software (regardless
> of the running OS) for a phone. I do not want to say that
> it is useless at all, but I think you overestimate the user
> base of such applications.
> In my circle of friends, not even the PC related sync their
> private mobile with their PCs. Only those using their mobile
> for business do syncing on a regular base (but they have
> several hundreds of customer numbers to carry).
> Of course all the PC geeks of my friends use their mobile in
> conjunction with their laptops, but this is, if one would
> count them, a small minority.
> Everyone else uses only the applications on the mobile and
> nothing else. Maybe they download some ringtones or some
> games, but syncing the phone is only relevant when they
> switch their provider/mobile.
> So to me it seems as if it would be a lot more important to
> get some really smart applications running on the mobile.
> The most important part, from my point of view, which has to
> be ready for the launch of the gta02, is an extremely easy to
> use update mechanism working in EVERY environment (regardless
> of OS). That is because the most relevant difference of the
> Neo 1973 to all the other phones is its openness and therefore
> the possibility to extend the installed base of applications
> to whatever one likes to have on its phone.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Regards
>

> I totally agree with you: the avarage user (for example my dad) won't sync
their phone. At least not when they buy it. But then they. ehm.. need some
document/foto/watherver on their phone, and so they connect it to the pc.
And then they like to see that they can sync everything really simply just
with a click'n'run or drag'n'drop system. If they have some sort of software
"included" with the phone, it makes everything better. I think of something
like you find nowdays on a pair of usb-disks: they have a bunch of windwos
apps (just 2 or 3) preinstalled on them, and if you conenct it to the pc, a
autoexec.bat is automatically called by the os, wich executes this
pr-installed programs. So the user needs to install nothing, simply pulls in
the stick, and has the programs aviable. Something like that would be pretty
cool.
So the idea would be this one, but what would ou sync: the calendar, the pim
and.. hm.. maybe a folder? or a group of folders?
To write something like this, we need to know a)how the Neo will be
recognised (usb ethernet device, but what else?)
b) What exactly should be synced
c) how does OpenMoko store the information wich will be synced.
If we know this points, everything could be done rally easylly.
btw, gtk is also aviable for windows. so that would be no problem.
Regards, Stefan

--
My corner of the web: http://ramsesoriginal.wordpress.com
My dream, my world: http://abenu.wordpress.com