Faster build process than openmoko-devel-image?

Visti Andresen talpa at galnet.dk
Thu Jul 19 13:43:58 CEST 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 05:44:54 -0500
Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com> wrote:

> Alright, I've finally figured out how to add new packages to builds, and am
> starting to develop.  However, I'm finding the turnaround rather slow.  I'm
> using the commands:
>
>  (make changes)
>  # make openmoko-devel-image
>  # make flash-qemu-local
>  # make run-qemu
>
> And the openmoko-devel-image is always pulling stuff from remote sites, with
> lots of lines like:
>
> NOTE: Handling BitBake files: \ (4346/4353) [99 %]NOTE: Retrieved remote
> revisions: ['1468']
>
> Is there another make target that will skip checks for new stuff upstream and
> just rebuild my local work?

I don't know...
But you could also just build the specific ipk package and scp it to the
emulator and install it using 'ipkg install file'

And for the small programs I normally create, I build them so they also can
be run without installation from the build directory.
This way I should be able to do:
1. qemu: ssh-fuse mount the build directory
2. pc: make changes
3. pc: build (using make or other tool)
4. qemu: execute new exe from fuse mount and "goto 2."

I'm very new to this entire bitbake ting.

Seems that I wouldn't want to use bitbake for day to day development
as i would have to make a change, then commit it and the do a bitbake?
At least if I don't want to maintain two recipes

So for development I use another build system?
and I instruct bitbake to use this system when compiling