Qemu, repository, dev env.

Lars Hallberg lah at micropp.se
Tue Jul 24 23:53:03 CEST 2007

andrzej zaborowski skrev:
>> a) build a 'generic' openmoko kernel with added ethernet support and put
> (generic perhaps mean VersatilePB or Integrator)
>> it on a 'generic' rootfs. Should run on stock qemu and with networking.
>> Not a real neo1973 emulator but good enough for testing generic openmoko
>> apps.
>
> I think that's what most developers currently already use, aiui it's
> what OE generates when you set "qemuarm" as machine name.

Great... Then there only need to be some place where kernel and rootfs
can be downloaded in binary form... Packages is even better but binary
files is a huge improvement.

Setting up a complete build env to just check it out is a big hurdle.
And as script/mono/java packages aper/mature it's not needed even for
development!

>> b) Build in a simulated usb->ethernet device in the neo1973qemu and
>> connect that to qemu networking. Have no clue whether this is hard or
>> easy.
>
> Not very difficult but you would also need to patch the kernel.
>
> The openmoko qemu tree also has a 3rd party patch applied for normal
> usb networking (i.e. the NIC is a usb device), which would seem to be
> the ideal solution except it's buggy on 64bit hosts :(  more
> information about the patch is here:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-11/msg00034.html

Think this is what I wished for in poor wording (pardon my English). The
problem I can see is that qemu use dhcp for the virtual clients and
openmoko aper to us a hardcoded IP#... But I will check this out (I'm on
a 32 bit host).

Thanks for the pointer!

/LaH