Qemu, repository, dev env.

Lars Hallberg lah at micropp.se
Tue Jul 24 22:29:44 CEST 2007

ramsesoriginal skrev:

> On 7/24/07, *Kieran Fleming*
>
>     A pre-built and up to date QEMU for linux, windows and mac would be very
>     good, because at the moment it's way too hard to get it compiled. If
>     no-one is doing this already, I would be happy to get this started.
>

> You have my full support. It woul also be great if someone could put
> everything in packages/installer/whatever. Something like "OpenMoko
> emulator". I could (at least try) to do it for Ubuntu.

Would be nice.

I'm not sure, but I think qemu tun/tap and user networking don't work
with the neo1973 openmoko kernel/qemu. It expect to use a emulated nic
and neo1973 don't have one. The usb networking require a host kernel
build so it is not user friendly. I se two possible solutions:

a) build a 'generic' openmoko kernel with added ethernet support and put
it on a 'generic' rootfs. Should run on stock qemu and with networking.
Not a real neo1973 emulator but good enough for testing generic openmoko
apps.

b) Build in a simulated usb->ethernet device in the neo1973qemu and
connect that to qemu networking. Have no clue whether this is hard or easy.

a) is probably easier then b) but b) is more complete.

I strongly believe that an easy way to emulate openmoko with networking
will increase interest in app development.

/LaH (sorry if You have to read this twice... posted to community list
earlier but this list is probably more appropriate)