mp3/ogg player?

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Tue Jun 19 19:51:50 CEST 2007

John Carter wrote:
> So I plan on buying an openmoko as soon as it hits phase 2 anyway...
>
> In the mean time my mp3 player has died...so I'm contemplating a new one.
>
> If I buy a largish sd card.... will I be able to use my neo as an ogg /
> mp3 player?
>
> Or will their be usability / battery life issues?

In the nearish term, it looks likely that the battery life will be
somewhere in the region of 6-8 hours, with the CPU on, and the backlight
off.

In the moderate term, it's possible that this will rise to somewhere in
the >24 hour range, if it is possible to use the slow mode of the CPU
for the majority of the time.
(slow mode to read out precomputed mp3 decoding, fast mode to decode mp3
to a RAM buffer).

This is based on a very sketchy analysis of the hardware.