Why GTK+ 2.6 is the preferred version?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Jun 25 21:09:51 CEST 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:02:25 -0700, Chad wrote:
> The ARM chip used in the Neo has no FPU, and newer GTK+ versions use
> Cairo which benefits greatly from floating point.  Therefore 2.6 is
> the best performing version for ARM chips.  This report covers the
> Nokia 770, which is pretty much in the same boat as the Neo:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/gnome.performance/2006-07/msg00084.html

As far as cairo is concerned, you're quoting stale information that's
no longer correct.

With cairo 1.4.8, GTK+ 2.10 using cairo can render text faster on an
ARM than can GTK+ 2.6 using Xft.

The maemo folks are already moving to GTK+ 2.10. I hope openmoko will
as well. (And if you do run into any performance problems with cairo,
please let me know and we will fix them straight away.)

-Carl