Neo1973 for Development Projects

Peter A Trotter peter.trotter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 09:21:37 CEST 2007

Hi,

Welcome to Openmoko!

If you are interested in development for Openmoko I would recomend signing
up to both the devel and community lists. A good place to start is to check
out the wiki as well http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page. The wiki also
contains all the information you need to get started with development using
emulation etc.

On 27/06/07, Christian Stüble <stueble at sirrix.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure whether this list is the right one; I found information
> about
> the P1 device and the debug board, but not how to get them. Since we would
> like to use the OpenMoko device for our research and development projects,
> I would like to know how and where I can bye them.

This question would probably better posted to the community list, the latest
on this is:

Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
<quote>
Starting July 9th, we will launch openmoko.com and start taking orders.
We're going to have two configurations:

Neo Base -- everything the mobile application developer needs to enjoy
the benefits of the first freed phone, the Neo 1973:

 * Neo 1973 (GTA01B_v4)
 * Battery
 * Stylus
 * Headset
 * AC Charger
 * Phone Pouch
 * Lanyard
 * SanDisk 512MB MicroSD Card (2x)
 * Micro USB Connectivity Cable

Neo Advanced -- everything the mobile device hacker wants to get down
and dirty with the first freed phone, the Neo 1973:

 * Neo 1973 (GTA01B_v4)
 * Battery (2x)
 * Stylus
 * Headset
 * AC Charger
 * Phone Pouch
 * Lanyard
 * SanDisk 512MB MicroSD Card (2x)
 * Mini USB Connectivity Cable (2x)
 * USB Host Mode Cable
 * Debug Flex Cable
 * Debug Board v2 (JTAG and serial console)
 * Ruggedized Toolbox with shoulder strap
 * Guitar Pick (for opening case)
 * Torx T6 screwdriver

The delays have been expensive for us and annoying for you. We've
decided that instead of setting up a complicated return or tracking
system to remember who gets a discount for GTA02, we going to give you
_all_ a discount on GTA01.

We're going to sell the Neo Base for $300. The Neo Advanced will be
$450.

GTA02 (AKA: The Mass Market Neo 1973) is on schedule to go on sale in
October. It will have the following new hardware components:

 * 802.11 b/g WiFi
 * Samsung 2442 SoC
 * SMedia 3362 Graphics Accelerator
 * 2 3D Accelerometers
 * 256MB Flash

We will sell this device through multiple channels. Direct from
openmoko.com, the price will be $450 for the Neo Base and $600 for Neo
Advanced.
</quote>

We are a German company with the focus on communication security and
> operating
> system security. Since we are involved in several open-source projects
> that
> aim to develop an open security kernel (e.g.,
> http://www.perseus-os.org,
> http://www.emscb.org,
> http://www.opentc.net
> ), we would like to use the Neo1973 as the underlying hardware platform.

Sounds interesting - good luck!

-Pete

How and where can we get/buy the Neo1973 platforms and the development