FIRST OPENMOKO IN THE WILD!

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Mar 6 22:24:28 CET 2007

Salve Michael, Jonas, *!

> Quoting michael at michaelshiloh.com on 03/06/2007 06:24 PM UTC:
> > Just received my Neo 1973! Thank OpenMoko!

Great! Congratulation to the OpenMoko team
and to you, that it seems that you are the
lucky one to be the first to get the package ;)

The one to my place seems to be still in Hong Kong...

> > My first goal is to be able to ssh into it. I wonder if sshd comes
> > installed on the device.
> >
> > If I can get it running with my T-Mobile SIM card, I'll see if I can't
> > let you
> > all ssh into it, so that you can have a look around from the inside.

I like the idea to share your Neo with the others...
this is smart.... :)

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007, Jonas Berlin wrote:
> Personally I think your gprs connection would be dossed if you let us
> all ssh to it, so maybe consider telling only selected people :)

AFAIK does 3 of 4 GSM networks in German have NAT for the GPRS
connections, T-Mobile is the one without a NAT so it could work
to have easily access from outside to the Neo via GPRS
(but also the danger of paying traffic from bad guys...)

Alternative to GPRS it should be hackable to have SSH access
the Neo via USB.

Another idea to share impression in realtime from the inside
could be recorded with freenx. For the beginning ttyrec would
be a nice tool.

When you have SSH connection to your Neo you could record your
session with ttyrec

ssh to neo1973
ttyrec Neo1973-first-impression-070306-21h-1.ttyrec
[do interesting stuff on your neo]
exit (to end ttyrec)

then upload Neo1973-first-impression-070306-21h-1.ttyrec
and we all use ttyplay to see it.

When you have a mic at your soundcard (my laptop ones doen't worth it
- the neo mic should doing this job better :)))
you could combine ttyrec with rec:
rec -c 1 -b -r 8000 Neo1973-first-impression-070306-21h-2.wav & |\
ttyrec Neo1973-first-impression-070306-21h-1.ttyrec
[do interesting stuff on your neo and speak commentaries into your mic]
exit (to end ttyrec)
fg (to bring rec into foreground)
ctrl-c to end the audio recording.

Then convert it to speex or ogg/vorbis:
speexenc --vbr --abr 2 Neo1973-first-impression-070306-21h-2.wav Neo1973-first-impression-070306-21h-2.spx

upload *.spx and *.ttyrec to let us see what you have done
with your neo and listen to your comments.

playback with
speexdec *070306-21h-2.spx & ttyplay *070306-21h-2.ttyrec

A) Does anybody knows a tty recording tool or script
1. saving both into one file (maybe with ogg container)?
2. support play stop skip forward/backward both tty and sound at once?
3. solutin for 2. with shell player a player with GUI?

B) And does anybody knows such a recoding of screen monitoring
together with sound with FreeNX?

C) Any postediting tools beside VIM for A & B?

Why ttyrec&speex? Because IMHO it use less space and CPU power then
a video and gives a real impression of the tty session - the same
with FreeNX - I think we'll able to playback both recordings tty/FreeNX
*with* sounds on the Neo itself.
This would give a perfect demonstration and also tutorials for beginners
what you can do and who you can do things with the Neo.

When we use FreeNX recordings of the GUI on a device with a touchscreen
- anybody experiances with this - how to make pen or finger pressing
visible on the recordings/transmission to other screens like a beamer
in an auditorium?

I haven't much experiances with ttyrec/freeNX, I just think both
tools will be very usfull for us - to documentate for others and
maybe for ourself ;)
Of course I'll like to read your feedback and simplification about
this idea ;)

Greetings from Aachen
rob
(who is busy with learning till end of next week)

PS: Everyone near to Aachen, Köln, Düsseldorf or Hasselt (Belgium)
    and who didn't getting a phase-0 phone are welcome to contact
    me via PM - of course I like to share my first neo as well ;)