Unattended debug of the Neo 1973 hardware

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Mon Mar 12 00:23:17 CET 2007

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Rod Whitby wrote:
>> 1) To get (and keep) /dev/ttyACM0 serial access to the bootloader, you
>> need to interrupt the bootloader before it boots Linux.
>
> By the way, you may want to look at the extension of the "preboot"
> mechanism used by the devirginator. That gives you one command line you
> can upload over JTAG. If you need to send more commands than fit into
> the command line, you can prepare a script, with a proper header. You'll
> also find this in the devirginator. (SVN: trunk/src/host/devirginator)

Yeah, I looked at that, but also wanted to cater for Phase1 developers
(and some Phase0 developers) who don't have a debug board.

>> 2) The only way I can find to get out of uboot DFU Mode back to uboot
>> Runtime Mode is to do a dummy download (e.g. download a file to RAM)
>> which puts uboot back into Runtime Mode (from which you can reset or boot).
>
> Is dfu-util -R not working for you ?

I didn't think you can give -R by itself, only with a -U or -D.  I'd
love to be able to do -R by itself.

I'd also love a way for dfu-util to completely power-cycle the neo
remotely :-)

>> It would be good to have a dfu-util option which just resets back to
>> runtime mode without having to do a scary dummy download.
>
> As far as dummy downloads are concerned, -a 0 isn't so scary :)

True.

-- Rod