Bootloader upgrade

Paul Eggleton bluelightning at bluelightning.org
Mon Mar 12 06:35:59 CET 2007

Hi Werner,

Thanks for your reply.

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> - you should use "write.e", not "write". "write.e" skips over bad blocks,
>   which is also what the loader does. If there are bad NAND Flash blocks
>   in your u-boot partition, the rest of u-boot will be loaded at the
>   wrong address. (Bad blocks are a "normal" feature of NAND Flash.)

Interestingly the Bootloader wiki page uses write.e for all of the examples
except the one for reflashing the bootloader
(http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Bootloader#Writing_new_bootloader_to_NAND).

> Please do the following:
>
> dynpart
> dynenv set u-boot_env
> reset

Unfortunately the USB console seems to no longer be operational. I
have /dev/ttyACM0 when the device is plugged in at the menu, but connecting
to it and pressing enter in the terminal does not give any response. I don't
have a debug board so I can't try serial. As I mentioned previously the menu
does not have the console options since I reflashed.

I could use dfu-util to flash a new copy of the bootloader, but of course
u-boot is in "u-boot Runtime Mode" and therefore only lists one target for
downloading - does that matter?

Cheers,
Paul