Devirginator packaging

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Mar 15 02:20:20 CET 2007

Rod Whitby wrote:
> I'd like to see the following:
>
> In /usr/sbin (cause you probably need to be root to run it)
>
> 	devirginate

Hmm, I don't really like the idea of installing that thing as if it
was a regular program. It would be more a candidate for /var/sbin,
if such a place existed :-)

Besides, you may have a number of very different such setups per
system, so you'd have to include some ID. No, I think keeping the
run-time stuff just per user, identified by directory, is an
adequate solution.

There could be some optimization in the form of a shared cache,
and such, but that's probably already over-engineering.

> (which takes an optional "image-dir" command line argument for the
> "stash" directory where all the downloaded stuff is stored - so you can
> just point it at your tmp/deploy/images directory if you want)

setup.sh already processes arguments of the form  variable=value ;-)
At least this should work, I've never tested it.

> 	different config files for different hardware versions

I don't think they should come from the "package". If you want to
package entire snapshots, they could exist as separate entities
(and, in OE or Gentoo style, the "entire" snapshot might very
well be just a config file plus some logistics.)

But a probably more useful feature may be the ability to specify
the config file by file name or URL. These things may change
rapidly enough that you just want to pick today's snapshot, and
be content with the "packaging" the devirginator does already.

- Werner