[oe] Why EABI matters

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Fri Mar 16 08:59:23 CET 2007

Lars Hallberg wrote:
> ... but my gut says there should be a compile time switch to turn of use
> of FPA instructions an do the floating point calculations in a user
> space library avoiding the context switches.

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. Actually we already use
something called soft-float, however the EABI is supposed to bring us
even more performance.

OpenEmbedded has the necessary EABI bits in place, I was merely
quoting this to "warn" all you guys that there will be ABI breakage in
a couple of months.

Regards,

--
- Michael Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org>                   http://openmoko.org/